We are Hiring – National Co-ordinator
Category : Naya Blog
The Strategic Partnership Right Here, Right Now addresses the limited respect, protection and the hindered fulfilment of the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of young people in 10 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America and in 1 sub-region, the Caribbean.
In Kenya, the platform draws its membership from 14 organisations. Based on an analysis of the underlying causes of this problem, the partnership strives for the protection, respect and fulfilment of young people’s SRHR that is inclusive, including girls, young women and young lesbians, and key populations). Specific attention is given to:
freedom from stigma, discrimination and violence; access to comprehensive youth-friendly services; access to comprehensive information; and space for young people’s voices.
Advocacy is at the basis of how the partnership expects desired change to happen in a particular context. A more progressive and inclusive collaboration of CSOs in national SRHR advocacy partnerships/platforms can be instrumental to strengthen advocacy for SRHR services and information, including, but not limited to sexuality education.
The RHRN country platform in Kenya is hiring a National Coordinator (NC). The National Coordinator will be in charge of coordinating the work of the RHRN platform and serve as linking pin between platform members. The Coordinator will have the main responsibility to coordinate strategic planning, prepare and carry out joint activities, coordinate monitoring, evaluation and learning activities, foster strategic linkages with other initiatives and
stakeholders and represent the platform.
The National Coordinator will be legally employed by the host organization, Network for Adolescent and Youth of Africa (NAYA). This position is based in Nairobi with travel to project sites in Kisumu and Mombasa or any other place deemed relevant. Brief descript of the position and detailed roles and responsibilities are provided below:
The National Coordinator will perform, among others, the following functions:
- Coordinate the implementation of country plans:
- Coordinate strategic and yearly planning processes and implementation of the country plan by the platform and its members;
- Initiate activities that promote synergies between platform members and implement joint activities;
- Inform the Chair of the platform and other platform members and organize meetings for decision-making.
- Support the platform in Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (PMEL) in liaison with the regional team;
- Document evidence of good practice for both internal and external learning
- Compile/draft annual plans and budgets, draft annual progress narrative and financial reports in consultation with the regional coordinator; submits annual plans/budgets/reports to the regional manager, following their approval by the platform, and keeps regular contact with the regional team;
- Monitor the national policy environment and keeps the platform updated on key developments relevant to the platform. Is overall responsible for the internal and external communication of the platform;
- Facilitate Linking with other existing initiatives relevant to the work of the platform, seeking alignment and harmonization, building synergies and avoiding duplication;
- Is the focal point of the platform for the RHRN Consortium members, including the Dutch Embassy, and ensures synergies with the regional and international advocacy activities of the RHRN Global Partnership.
- Coordinate joint advocacy efforts of the platform in Kenya, especially for national SRHR agenda
- Serve as a credible representative of the platform and all its programs in events and coordination meetings;
- Coordinate and give guidance on the facilitation of experience sharing and scaling-up best practices among platform members.
- The National Coordinator is contracted by the host organization, which is one of the platform members. The National Coordinator is a full-time position and cannot have another position/job at any of the platform members.
The applicant must hold a Bachelors degree in Public Health, health sciences or related field With a minimum of three years of progressive responsible experience in SRHR program management, advocacy and managing strategic partnerships.
- Strong project cycle management experience including monitoring and evaluation, budgeting, financial and technical reporting.
- Experience and skills in budget advocacy and social accountability
- Working experience in working with networks as well as different Donor including Dutch is desirable
- Have working knowledge of key national and International frameworks that mandate SRHR related work (including of Human Rights Treaty Bodies, desired)
- Significant experience in the field of SRHR
- Strong believer in human rights
- Have a progressive stance on SRHR; you have affinity with RHRN values;
- Communicate well and write in a style that is clear and accessible to others;
- Have an excellent knowledge of English, both verbal and written;
- Be results focused and cost-conscious;
- Be available to travel regionally and internationally (when needed)
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills;
- Excellent facilitation, analytical, administrative and organization skills
- High levels of integrity and commitment
- Good knowledge of research and evaluation
- Passionate about placing youth at the centre of the SRHR program and working with young people as equal partners
- Ability to work independently;
- Self-confident, persistent and decisive; good listening capacity; assertive; flexible;
- Committed to RHRN values
This is a competitive position that provides a unique opportunity for professional growth and development of the office holder. Young people are especially encouraged to apply.
Application Process and Timetable
If you meet the requirements above and is interested, please send a cover letter, detailed CV, and contacts of three referees, two of whom must be professional referees and one other, also include the expected salary. All these should reach the undersigned through email address email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org by COB January 25, 2017. Your application should have reference of the above position. This position is open to Kenya Nationals only. All applications should be made via email.
The application should be addressed to;
Right Here Right Now (RHRN) Kenya
P. O. Box 51505 – 00100